Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a powerful method of psychotherapy. To date, EMDR has helped an estimated two million people of all ages relieve many types of psychological distress.
You might benefit from EMDR if you’ve ever:
- Felt an irrational fear of abandonment.
- Experienced relentless internal conflicts.
- Felt stuck in the past, especially stuck in childhood.
- Heard a parent’s wounding message over and over in your head.
- Felt as though a traumatic event from the past is still happening now.
- Reacted to a stressful event as a fearful, helpless, or angry child would react.
- Suspected your unhappy childhood is connected to your adulthood problems.
- Noticed that what you think (“I’m worthwhile”) doesn’t match what you feel (“I’m worthless”).
We can feel stuck in the past, stuck in wounding events involving abuse, neglect, rejection, abandonment, or enmeshment. If left unresolved, the wounds of yesterday can lead to problems today. Therapy can help you get unstuck from traumatic and painful experiences, so you can live more fully in the present without the unwanted behaviors, beliefs, and emotions yesterday’s wounds have evoked.